Húsasmidjan runs 16 hardware stores in Iceland, seven of which are associated with garden center Blómaval which we also own. Furthermore, we own two Blómaval garden centers run separately in Reykjavik, and wholesale stores Ískraft (specialty stores for electrical professionals) and H.G. Guðjónsson (kitchen fittings). Ískraft is run in Kópavogur, Akureyri, Selfoss, Egilsstaðir and Reykjanesbær and H.G. Guðjónsson in Reykjavík. Húsasmidjan is a leading company in selling materials for the construction industry - its slogan being: "Husasmidjan - Ease of business".
Húsasmidjan is a market-oriented sales and services company that provides, sells and distributes goods and services. It serves professionals as well as the general public all over the country and provides customers with complete solutions.
Húsasmidjan works to be the best in the business with outstanding services and a wide range of products at competitive prices. The guiding light at Húsasmidjan is flexibility in face of market needs and the return of individual company divisions.
Húsasmidjan concentrates on effective use of professional skills to their full extent, providing initiative and know-how through a unified team of able employees. About 750 people work at Húsasmidjan.
Húsasmidjan runs a disciplined investment policy, and through thrift it provides its owners with solid operations and a good return.
The largest hardware and home improvement chain in Iceland
- A diversified retail company with a very strong corporate identity, Husasmidjan has built solidly on past achievements in order to maintain dominance and secure future growth.
- A staple of the Icelandic construction industry for many years, Husasmidjan is an important partner for some of the largest construction companies in Iceland.
- 1956 Húsasmiðjan established by Mr Snorri Halldórsson, born 1911 at Magnússkógar in the "Dalir" of Western Iceland. An active master builder he built many renowned buildings in Reykjavík such as the National theatre and the University cinema.
- Húsasmidjan has gone through many changes in the past, it is now one of the 30 largest companies in the country.
- 1959 Húsasmidjan starts selling timber.
- 1963 The production of summerhouses begins.
- 1971 Retail company
- 1984 - 1996 several home improvement and lumber centres open throughout Iceland
- 1996 - 2001 further acquisitions, number of outlets expanded, the company becomes the dominat retailer in its field.
- Strong association with Baugur Iceland, Iceland's largest general merchandise retailer.
- June 2003, Husasmidjan opens a 3.000 m² home improvement market at Smáratorg, one of the busiest business centres in the Reykjavik area
- October 2004. Husasmidjan purchases a large home improvement and lumber centre in Borgarnes, West-Iceland.
- January 2005. Husasmidjan moved the main office and the main warehouse to Holtagardar.
With this new location close to Reykjavik Harbour area, the 10.000 m² warehouse is ideally located to serve Husasmidjan?s home improvement centres and their customers in faster and better way.
- May 21st 2005. Husasmidjan opens a new 7.300 m² home improvement market, lumber center and garden center at Grafarholt, which is Iceland's largest in this field and where the customers can buy everything under one roof.
- October 2005. Blómaval opens a new 4000 m² garden centre in Skútuvogur. This is Icelands's largest market centre for flowers and everything for gardens and growth.
- Húsasmiðjan operates now in Skútuvogur combined shopping area for home improvement market, tools, home appliances and garden centre, total of 10.000 m².
- April 2006 - Húsasmiðjan expands the activities in Egilsstaðir, Eastern-Iceland, by taking over the sales department for home improvement materials and building materials from Kaupfélag Héraðsbúa, and stores in Egilsstaðir and Reyðarfjörður. A new 2.500 m² store and warehouse for Húsasmiðjan in city centre of Egilsstadir is under construction and will open end this year.
- June 2006 - Husasmidjan takes over the sales department for home improvement materials and building materials from KASK in Hofn in Hornafjordur in Southeast-Iceland. By this Husasmidjan is operating stores all around Iceland.
November 2007 - Husasmidjan opnes new 2.500 square meters store and warehouse in center of Egilsstadir in Eastern-Iceland. Also housing Blomaval garden centre and Iskraft, specialty store for electrical professionals.
April 2008 - Husasmidjan opens a new store centre at Fitjar in Reykjanesbær, housing building- and home improvement store, lumber centre, Blomaval garden centre and Iskraft.
November 2008 - Husasmidjan moves to new store in Hvolsvöllur.
March 2009 - Husasmidjan opens new Timber-centre in the store in Grafarholt. By this everything is under one roof: Building- and home improvement store, lumber yard and Blomaval garden centre.
A market-oriented sales and services company
- Primarily concerned with providing materials and expertise to the construction industry and do-it-yourself people, Husasmidjan is a market-oriented sales and services company which continues to grow in a variety of areas.
- Husasmidjan has diversified its home improvement and construction base through acquisitions of leading companies in related categories.
- Husasmidjan operates 16 stores throughout Iceland.
What We Offer Our Customers
- Customers can get everything at Husasmidjan for the construction and maintenance of their houses
- from the smallest nail to the most luxurious bathroom imaginable
- from foundation materials to the roof over their heads
- Husasmidjan goes out of its way to assist its customers, by employing experienced professionals in each of its many departments to provide its customers with the best service available.
- The company maintains two expansive warehouses in Iceland in order to supply its stores with the right goods from suppliers around the world at competitive prices.
- Husasmidjan's slogan, "From a Foundation to a Good Home", reflects its commitment to a philosophy that recognises the importance of a good beginning in the success of any venture. This philosophy is reflected in every aspect of the company, from the smallest detail in the store´s layout to the expert retail knowledge of its staff and management.
- To underline this even further Husasmidjan has added the slogan "Ease of business" as a commitment to serve the customers in a better way so they can feel at home when doing business with Husasmidjan.
A major importer of building materials
Timber for concrete formwork
Interior and exterior doors
Pretreated timber with preservative
Wall and caulking materials
Screws, nails & locks
Various other materials
Home appliances and interior products
Paint and related products
Sanitary appliances and fixtures
Materials for redoing and decorating homes
We are committed to the
preservation of the environment
Husasmidjan is mindful of the impact human activity has on the environment. We are well aware that its primary sphere of influence - construction - can have a dramatic effect not only on landscape but on the environment in general. We are therefore always looking for new ideas on how Husasmidjan can make a meaningful contribution to preserving the environment.
From geothermal heating to the imminent "hydrogen economy", Iceland is on the forefront of implementing environmental solutions. Husasmidjan hopes to make its own contribution, not only providing the basis of a good home, but also of a good environment.
Húsasmiðjan at a glance
Founded in 1956
– Roots in lumber and steel imports/sales
– Serves both retail customers and tradesmen
– Today operates 31 stores all around the country under four brand names
– Húsasmiðjan – DIY (16 locations)
– Blómaval – Garden center (9 locations), six of which are associated with Húsasmiðjan and two of which are run separately
– Ískraft – specialty stores for electrical professionals (5 locations)
– HGG – kitchen fittings (1 location)
Location of stores